Thursday, July 16, 2015

Sunsets for the Soul



Today ended like this.  By chance, I glanced outside and saw brilliant colors streaking across the sky, lighting up the horizon.  Sunset is my favorite time of the day, and on the coast it's like a breathtaking painting most nights.  

We spent the afternoon on the beach, and I made myself stop - really stop.  No phone, no Facebook, no iPad ... just playing in the water with Wes and the kids.  The kids and I searched the sand for tiny shells to fit in a bottle.  Then Wes and I sat for quite some time in a tidal pool just digging up tiny clams and watching them dig their way back down into the sand.  It was so pointless, so beach-like ... so ... "still".  I don't sit still often, and even when my body is still, my brain is not.  I don't do idle.  I NEEDED to do idle, even if it was just for a short time.  I probably dug up 50 clams, and I found enjoyment every time holding them in my hand putting them back in the sand to watch them burrow back into their safe place.  

Tomorrow is our last full day in Gulf Shores, and I am going to miss the protective bubble of vacation.  It's not that the pressures of life are gone ... they're just filtered, to a degree. You know it's all still there, waiting and pressing against the bubble, but the diluted effect is so nice.  

We took Wes's First Up canopy back out to the beach this afternoon.  *insert Taps music*  Yeah .... no.  It's a goner.  He'll be purchasing something new for deer camp this year.  The beach claimed its victim, and I'm glad Hurricane Davis went for the inanimate object rather than teensy little Katlyn or something.  Our little tax deduction wonderful child would be missed.  *wink*

The kids are going to miss the unlimited WiFi next week.  Maybe AT&T will get busy and grant us some actual REAL WiFi on our road sometimes this year.  #neanderthals 

















No comments:

Post a Comment